Thursday, March 15, 2012

How to Make Root Beer with Dry Ice



When I was little, my parents used to have parties where they made root beer using the dry ice method. I found this fascinating. Now, I have kids of my own. I'm sure they would love to do this. I decided it was high time that I researched how to use the dry ice method because the other method, using yeast creates a small amount of alcohol and the bottom of the bottle tastes terrible. Also, the dry ice method makes a lot in a short amount of time. I have a large crew, so making multiple gallons in one batch meets my needs. The recipe I'll show you is found on many sites on the internet. The problem is finding some of the supplies and ingredients. I have no idea where to get them. So, I'm going to research them and share what I find so you don't have to do all the work, too.

Supplies:
  • Large insulated drink cooler
  • 6 cups white sugar
  • 3 1/3 gallons cold water
  • 2 oz root beer extract
  • 4 lbs dry ice
  • Heavy plastic gloves for handling the dry ice
  • Large metal spoon, or other stirring utensil

Procedure:
  • Mix together the sugar and water, pouring both into the insulated cooler. Stir until the mixture dissolves completely.
  • Blend in the root beer extract, stirring well.
  • Cover loosely, but do not seal. Air pressure can build up inside the cooler, causing it to explode.
  • Allow mixture to stand at room temperature for about an hour, before serving.
  • Store leftover root beer in gallon jugs, in a cool, dry place.

Now we need to focus on where to find the ingredients we don't normally keep in our pantry.
Insulated coolers and Root beer flavoring.
Amazon.com has 2,3, 5 and 10 gallon insulated beverage coolers. They also have root beer flavoring, concentrate, and extract. It may be safe to guess that the coolers may be at a sporting goods store in the summer. However, that item did not show up at those stores during my internet search. I earn $25 in Amazon Gift cards at SwagBucks, so that I was motivated to look there when it showed up in my internet search.

Gloves for handling Dry Ice:
One website said that oven mitts will work for handling dry ice. Yea! One less thing to buy!

Dry Ice:
Lastly, we want to buy dry ice from somewhere close enough that it is the same size as we originally asked for by the time it reaches our home. I found DryIceIdeas.com. You simply enter in your zip code, select a mile radius you're willing to travel to get the dry ice and it supplies you a list of local stores that carry dry ice. I found 12 within 25 miles. The closest is only 11 miles away- I live in a rural area, so that is pretty close.

The rest of the ingredients are probably in your pantry. Let's gather the materials and have a good time making home made root beer!

Smoothie recipes available here

More recipes are available here

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment