Friday, March 16, 2012

Inline Skates and skateboards


When I was a child, I was only aware of a few different skate types: quad skates that were over-the-shoe or that looked like boots with wheels. Now, there are many different types of skates. Each design has a different purpose. Some are best used on paved surfaces, others for indoors, some for speed skating or hockey, and I was amazed to find off-road skates.There are also different skateboard types. I will show you what my sons and I researched while trying to find out which kind we like best.




Quad skates: The designs shown are for outdoor skating. The skates have a wider 5 inch“truck” that offers stability. If they have a 3 inch truck, they would be great for speed. Some skates like this have a front and a back break.


Scorpion skates are great for going over cracks and bumps in the road. The skates pictures are for multi-terrain skating: pavement, cobble, grass and dirt tracks.


Inline Hockey Skates are designed to be used indoors, outdoors, or both. There are skates made multiple skill levels. The beginner skates are more forgiving and allow skaters to develop their skills while the advanced skates offer increased speed and maneuverability. One pair I researched even had memory foam for added comfort.


Inline Speed Skates come with 3 or 4 wheels. The shoes are close-fitting and have little padding. Most call this sport Inline Racing. Many people who are inline racing switch back and forth between this and ice speed skating. My guess is that the shoes and frames for ice speed skating and inline racing are built similarly, making it an easy transition

 Skate Boards come in lots of shapes and sizes, too. This skate board allows the user to similate regular skateboarding, snowboarding and surfing.

Sole Skates
Are like riding a mini skateboard. I had to watch a video to figure out how this works because it looks so small. There are more videos on skateboards. 
 
My 7 year old son really loves to skate. He is hopes that I will get him some inline speed skates. My 11 year old said that he would like to learn how to play roller hockey. My 9 year old just wants to skate and will be happy to have a good pair of inline skates. I would like to try out the multi terrain skates. They look like a lot of fun!



Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment